A monastery for the nuns of our Order was first established in Vittoriosa (Birgu) by Grand Master Verdala in 1582 and eventually moved to Valletta in 1595.
The nuns never leave the sanctuary of the convent apart from serious medical purposes. They live exclusively from donations by the outside world, with the Maltese community supplying them with their daily food requirements.
Cloistered nuns have no personal possessions and lead a simple and humble life. Each one has their own room, and spend most of their time in contemplation.
Many hours of the day are dedicated to prayer, which is not solely confined to a chapel. Each nun evokes a strong sense of spiritualty, that emphasises a personal inner journey that is full of dedication and serenity.
Internationally known Maltese photograph Anja Goder was granted the permission by the Prioress of the convent Sister Agnese to spend a day living alongside the nuns and she has taken some wonderfull photographs.